When the pen drive is write-protected, you can neither use the native Windows disk formatting programs nor any third-party USB formatter to format it. Fortunately, there are applicable solutions to write protection removal from all kinds of storage devices.
How do I remove write protection on a USB drive?
To remove the write protection, simply open your Start menu, and click on Run. Type in regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor. Double-click the WriteProtect key located in the right side pane and set the value to 0.
Can a USB be write protected?
Write-protection hardware switch
Some USB flash drives have a write-protection switch on the side or bottom. The write-protection switch is useful for keeping the contents of your drive safe from malware when you need to view them on a public computer. If your device has this switch, move it to the “Lock” position.
How does pendrive become write protected?
Some USB sticks have a mechanical switch on them that puts them into Write Protect mode. This can be a very small slider switch which may have caught on something in your pocket or computer case. If this is the situation, then simply move the switch to the unlocked position and try to copy files again.
Why can’t I remove write protection USB?
Disk Write Protected FAQ
If your USB flash drive, SD card or hard drive is write-protected, you can easily remove write protection. You can try running a virus scan, checking and ensuring the device isn’t full, disabling read-only status for a file, using diskpart, editing Windows Registry and formatting the device.
How do I remove write protection from a USB drive in Windows 10?
Use Diskpart to Remove Write Protection From USB Drives
- Insert the USB drive into a USB port on your computer.
- Press Windows key+X.
- Select Run.
- Enter diskpart and then select OK. …
- Next to DISKPART>, enter list disk and press Enter.
- In the list of mounted disks, find your USB drive and note the disk number.
How do I unlock a USB drive?
Method 1: Check the Lock Switch
So, if you find your USB Drive locked, then you should first check the physical lock switch. If the lock switch of your USB Drive is toggled to the lock position, you need to toggle it to the unlock position to unlock your USB Drive.
What does it mean when a disk is write-protected?
What does it mean when a USB is write protected? … Once your USB flash disk, SD card, internal or external hard drive is write-protected, it means that your device is unavailable for making any changes, such as add files, remove saved data, or format the drive. The only way out is to remove write protection.
How can I remove write protection from my SanDisk pen drive?
- Type DISKPART in Windows search box and hit enter.
- Enter LIST VOLUME and press enter.
- Type SELECT VOLUME #, the # is the volume number of your SanDisk USB/SD card/SSD drive, which you want to remove write protection from.
- Type ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY, press enter.
How do I fix write protected media?
How to Fix “Media Is Write Protected” in Windows
- Check Your Media for a Write Protection Switch.
- Removing Write Protection from Files and Folders.
- Run a Disk Scan.
- Run a Full Malware Scan.
- Check System Files for Corruption.
- Use Advanced Formatting Tools.
- Remove Write Protection With DiskPart.
How do you fix a write protected disk?
Fix 1. Remove Write Protection with Physical Switch (SD Card/USB)
- Find the physical switch on your USB or SD card.
- Remove the physical switch from ON to OFF and unlock the device.
- Download and launch Avira.
- Open this software and click “Run a quick scan”.
- Wait for the process to complete.
How do I remove write protection from a USB drive using command prompt?
Disable write protection using command line (CMD)
- Connect your write protected SD card to your computer.
- Right Click on Start. …
- Type diskpart and hit Enter.
- Type list disk and hit Enter. …
- Type select disk <number of your disk>. …
- Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.